Make It Simple To Select Your Best
City Tours And Excursions in Europe
City tours and excursions…one of the reasons you came to Europe in the first place!
European Travel Planning Tutorial
is best read in Firefox. (Download
You have thousands of sightseeing opportunities in Europe…you can do them by coach, mini-van, on foot, by bike, by segway or by boat…
And, booking these city tours and excursions is easy…local tour operators in all major towns and tourist areas offer them. They are particularly valuable, if you travel without a car or don’t plan to use public transportation.
You have two options if you want to see the top travel destinations quickly...
- guided city tours
- guided day excursions in the countryside
Short guided multi-day trips are also listed by country, lasting from two to seven days.
The benefits of your guided city tour
- A guided city tour gives you a quick overview of the city without you having to do anything but sightsee.
- The guide explains the sights, gives important tips about the city, and the driver does the driving.
You would not want to have a car in most European cities anyway…it’s no fun driving on the crowded roads with thousands of bikers, pedestrians and cars, and at the same time trying to deal with an unfamiliar language.
- We often take a guided tour in a new city.
Afterwards we have a much better perspective for the town and know what areas and sights we want to go back to.
Remember it’s a quick tour and that’s the purpose. You may want to visit the museums and other attractions on your own afterwards.
- Also ask the guide for restaurants and other fun suggestions. They’re the specialists on their town.
The benefits of your excursions into the countryside
By coach or by mini-coach/minivan…what’s the best for you?
In cities like London and Paris and areas like Scotland and Southern France, you can join city tours and excursions in a large coach or a much smaller mini-coach. They are not the same…
Or by train...
You have three options for day excursions by rail
The Railtours Ireland day trips from Dublin are great! They visit major attractions throughout the country, including the Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher in Western Ireland.
For the multi-day programs (from two to six days in Ireland) staying at B&B's or three-star hotels see
European Train Vacations.
Partly Escorted and Partly On Your Own
The most popular day rail excursions in Europe are between London and Paris on the high speed Eurostar train...
For example, from London to Paris you have three choices depending how much you want to see in Paris...
- Eurostar to Paris plus a one day Hop On - Hop Off bus
ticket…you’re on your own
- Eurostar to Paris plus a half-day guided tour including the Eiffel Tower
- Eurostar to Paris plus a full day guided tour of Paris with Versailles
The European Train Vacations' link listed above with Escorted (#1) also offers day trips on Historic Trains in Great Britain.
On Your Own
Day rail trips from London to Edinburgh and other cities in England are available from Golden Tours in London.
The un-escorted trips often include a Hop On - Hop Off tour ticket.
Important tips for your city tours and excursions in Europe
Are there any top tourist sights in Europe you should not miss?
In London you don’t want to miss the day trip to Windsor and Bath, in Paris to Versailles, Chartres and Giverny and in Rome to Sorrento and Capri.
But there are many more…all over Europe!
So…what’s the best and simplest way to plan your city tours and excursions in Europe?
- Visit the European Travel Research Center web
site that lists all the major sightseeing options in 19 European countries.
- Check the days the tours operate before you leave home. Avoid missed opportunities in Europe.
- Decide if you want to book your sightseeing in advance or on the spot.
- If you’re going to London, Paris, or Scotland, decide if
you want to do the sightseeing in a large coach or a small mini-coach or minivan. In Southern France - Nice, Cannes, Aix-en-Provence, Avignon, Arles and Marseilles - all daytrips are by minivan with driver-guide.
Return from City Tours and Excursions to the European Vacation Planning Made Easy Home Page
Return from City Tours and Excursions to Sightseeing in Europe