Make It Simple To Go Sailing In Greece
and Other Mediterranean Countries
Are you ready to go sailing in Greece, Turkey, Croatia...
On your own or with a crew?
I’m sure you've seen the beautiful pictures…sailing the Greek Islands in your own yacht or sailing vessel… relaxing in the sun with a drink in your hand…letting the world’s worries go by the wayside…
It is undoubtedly a great vacation, but there are a few questions to be answered first...
European Travel Planning Tutorial
is best read in Firefox. (Download
Your first question should probably be…
Bareboat...or Hire a Skipper… here’s the scoop
Let’s look at your sailing in Greece vacation choices…
- Bareboat yachts and catamarans…choose your boat and set sail into the blue Aegean and Ionian Seas.
- A crewed sailing holiday if you need a skipper, a chef to cook your meals or other sailing crew.
- Luxury sailing yachts…top quality, with crew for a memorable holiday.
- Luxury motor yachts and mega yachts…fully crewed from various locations in the Greek islands…from 4 to 80 passengers
And here are your two “in between bareboat and crewed” options...
1. Flotilla Saling - one lead boat…followed by five or six skippered boats of which you are one...
The lead boat is your guide and personal assistant for the week. This crew knows best where to sail depending on the Greek weather and water conditions. You sail on your own…but if you need some assistance…that crew is right there!
2. Share A Sail…is ideal for beginners and intermediates if your party is too small to charter a sailing yacht.
You rent one cabin, of the four on a crewed 51 ft. sailing yacht that has simple facilities. Your typical day for a week includes four to seven hours of sailing and a swim stop that includes a simple lunch.
Overnights are always in a port…so you can enjoy Greek nightlife!
How do you decide which boat to charter? Some question to think of…
- Decide how many will be in your group…couples, singles, children.
- What type and length boat do you want…sailboat, motor sailer, motor yacht.
- How long do you want to sail each day and how much time do you want to be on the islands.
- What’s your budget…costs are affected by size, type of boat and length of your charter.
- Your sailing plan…do you or your friends have some “must-see” places.
In addition to the boat charter, you still have to pay for fuel, water and port fees collected by the islands’ port authorities…
So what is the best way to book your own boat?
- Decide on the above items regarding size, type of ship, budget and area.
- Decide whether you want a bareboat or do you feel more comfortable with a crew. (Also Flotilla Sailing or Share A Sail)
- Hit the web or contact your local charter booking office for personal assistance.
- The European Travel Resource Center lists several companies, both in Greece and North America.
In this Tutorial you will find other all-inclusive sailing and yachting vacations in Greece and Turkey under
Small Ship Cruising.
All you have to do on these vacations is enjoy yourself…no work!
Return from Sailing in Greece to the European Vacation Planning Made Easy Home Page
Return from Sailing in Greece to European Cruise Lines